Friday, January 21, 2011

Dreamers

Are you a dreamer?  I am!  I love to dream and plan and hope.  Some have said to me, "Why dream about that?  You will never have it so don't set yourself up for disappointment."  Hmmmm - an interesting, albeit negative and unproductive thought.  I have asked people, "So what are your dreams?"  And I am amazed at how many people have NO DREAMS!! I began dreaming as a young girl, as most children do. Ask a child, "What would you like for Christmas, or what do you want to be when you grow up?"  Her eyes become huge with hope and wonder as she tells you all of the things that are in her heart. "I want a baby doll and a carriage, I want a puppy, and I want to be a doctor when I grow up...."  How precious are these times, these thoughts, these dreams?

So, I wonder what happens to us when we "grow up."  How do we lose that wonderful, creative gift? And how can we re-capture it?  Do we need to cultivate it - use it or lose it?  Should we take more time to just...dream?  Should we take the risk????  I say definitively YES!  I have had many dreams, and it is amazing how many have become a reality in my life!  I am walking out my dreams!  Isn't that the most wonderful thing?  When asked, “why dream, you know you will never have this or that”, my response has become, "Why NOT me?  God loves me just as much as anyone else, so why NOT me?  He can tell me "No, my child," and I am OK with that, but I not going to listen to you!”

Should you dream?  Should you take that risk?  Do you dare to - HOPE?  Well, what do you have to lose?  On the one hand, you may experience disappointment, feeling foolish, putting yourself “out there." On the other hand, you may find an amazing new world of opportunity!  The degree you always wanted, or the hope of the home and family tucked away in your heart, or a new relationship, new job, new challenge!  Now that is exciting! 

So the next time you share a hope or a dream with someone and they try to rain on that dream, just look them square in the eye and say, "Why NOT me?  God loves me just as much as anyone else!" and see what begins to happen in your life. You may not get all of your dreams, but having hope along the way, and realizing the dreams that do come to pass, make life exciting and interesting and just plain fun!  So I say, dream away, my friend!  You have nothing to lose and so very much to gain.  Have an amazing day, and Happy Dreaming!

1 comment:

  1. I think that dreaming as an adult can sometimes get buried under layers of responsibility. So the challenge is to learn how to set aside worries long enough to remember our dreams and then to pursue them.

    ReplyDelete